Sunday, 14 February 2016

Arsenal 2-1 Leicester, match details

Arsenal closed the gap on league leaders Leicester City to two clear points, on Sunday afternoon after the returning Welbeck scored an extra time header to earn a 2-1 win at Emirates stadium.

League leaders had fought hard till the death and had taken the lead through wonder boy Jamie Vardy's first half penalty, but Danny Simpsons red card offer the break proved a turning Welbeck popped up with virtually the last action of the match to earn three points for the gunners.

The home side started the day five points behind Cloudio Ranieri's Leicester, who sat clear at the top after last week's win at Man City. Their attempts to catch the visitors cold nearly paid dividends, but Alexis Sanchez could only divert a header
Wide of the post offer good work by Alexis Oxlade Chamberlain.

The gunners took over in the possession stakes for most of the first half, but that's something foxes will have been expecting. Much like last week, they proved harder to break down and potent on the break and their high passing gamereally ccaught the eye. Kante and Drinkwater in particular shown for their drive energy and commitment.

N'Golo Kante was quite literally everywhere. Having taken 47 first half touches, he proved a thorn in Arsenal's side and the Leicester City's main weapon to combat gunners intricate play.The ggoalkeepers at both ends played their own parts when called into action, and visiting captain Wes Morgan remained solid as a iron too- making a number of important blocks and interceptions

Riyad Mahrez nearly earned another penalty out of the half time. Unsurprisingly, N'Golo Kante was involved in the build up beating Laurent Koscieny(who was then replaced at the interval) to the ball in the Arsenal half. He powered forward and found Vardy who was then tripped in the area by Nacho Monreal. The decision was clear and Vardy smashed the ball home to give Leicester a half time lead.

Ranieri Switched things around and left Vardy to fend for himself up front but after the red card it was one way traffic in the other direction. Arsenal spent most of the rest of the game in Leicester City's final third and offer waves of pressure the gunners finally earned their leveler with twenty minutes to play.

Riyad Mahrez nearly earned another penalty out of the Spaniards early in the second half, but just minutes later Simpson picked up two booking in quick succession and found himself sent off with the better part of thirty five minutes to go. Considering Arsenal were already cracking up the pressure, this was to prove Leicester acid test.

Substitute Walcott grabbed the goal after turning in a fantastic cushion header from Giroud, but there was no time to celebrate.

Arsenal wanted the victory and continuedto test Leicester City's mettle. Per Mertesaker and Aaron Ramsey flashed good chances wide, while the returning Welbeck was unable to find the net as Kasper Schmeiche I stood firm.

He was called into action with 2 minutes to the end of the game, and made the finest save of the lot to deny Giroud from point blank range.

It had looked as though Leicester had come enough to earn a point, but the returning Danny Welbeck popped up to meet Mezuit Ozil's

No comments:

Post a Comment